Eagle eyed B&S employee, David Abell, spotted this early example of Chester manufactured electrical switchgear whilst on holiday in Portugal.
Produced by Chester-based Brookhirst and Co in the 1950’s, the switchgear is located on the Gil Eannes hospital ship, now permanently moored in the port of Viana do Castelo.
Built in Viana do Castelo naval shipyard in 1955, she was the flagship of the Portuguese White Fleet that operated in the codfish fishing in the seas of the Grand Banks of Newfoundland and Greenland between 1955 and 1973. Besides her main function as hospital ship, the Gil Eannes served also as maritime authority, mail ship, tug, ice breaker and general support ship for the Portuguese fishing vessels.
Interestingly, B&S follows in the tradition of Brookhirst and supplies several “maritime customers” who deploy our products on ships.